Detect and monitor intestinal inflammation
Actim® Calprotectin is an easy-to-use rapid test for the diagnosis of intestinal inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. The test detects fecal calprotectin, which is a stable and sensitive indicator of IBD.
The prevalence of IBD is rapidly increasing in the Western world. Actim Calprotectin can quickly distinguish IBD from non-inflammatory conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), while avoiding uncomfortable and invasive examinations. Actim Calprotectin is also useful for monitoring disease activity over time, and evaluating patients’ treatment responses.
The Actim Calprotectin test is user-friendly for both patients and healthcare professionals, offering hygienic detection of calprotectin levels. The test can be done simply on the spot, and gives visually interpretable, semiquantitative results in just 10 minutes.
- Reliable and immediate diagnosis of intestinal inflammation based on calprotectin – a sensitive indicator for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Semiquantitative results by reporting calprotectin concentration in three ranges: <50, 50–200, and >200 μg/g
- Exceptionally hygienic and convenient sample collection
- Easy to use one-step dipstick test
- Gives results on the spot in just 10 minutes
- No laboratory facilities or sample processing needed
- The test kit contains all necessary materials and can be stored at room temperature
How Actim Calprotectin works
Actim® Calprotectin is a rapid immunological dipstick test that is based on highly specific monoclonal antibodies detecting fecal calprotectin. The test kit contains all necessary materials for home sampling, and the one-step test protocol requires only 15 seconds of hands-on time. The results can be read from the test strip in just 10 minutes: the number of blue lines indicates the concentration range of calprotectin in feces.
Actim Calprotectin gives semiquantitative results by reporting calprotectin concentration in three ranges: <50, 50–200, and >200 μg/g. This helps to distinguish between patients without mucosal damage, those with an irritable bowel, and those with active inflammation.
The innovative leak-proof sample tube allows hygienic sample collection – even at home. The sampling device automatically adjusts the amount of sample, ensuring that test results are always consistent and reliable. The testing can be carried out without opening the tube cap. This guarantees clean and user-friendly testing. After sample collection, the sample tube can be stored at room temperature for up to one week, which enables taking multiple samples on different days and sending all of them for testing at once.
- Fecal calprotectin is a sensitive marker of intestinal inflammation.
- It is an immunomodulatory and antimicrobial protein that is primarily secreted by neutrophils. Mucosal damage causes neutrophil degranulation, which leads to elevated calprotectin concentrations in the bowel and feces.
- Calprotectin is an extremely stable protein, and can be found in feces even after 7 days of secretion from the mucosal membrane.
How Actim Calprotectin helps
Fecal calprotectin is an important biomarker for IBD, including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Calprotectin levels are low in feces of healthy individuals, while IBD patients have elevated fecal calprotectin concentrations due to leakage from damaged mucosa. The Actim® Calprotectin test is a useful tool for distinguishing IBD from IBS, which does not involve pathological damage to the bowel.
Actim Calprotectin rapid test
- Supports quick diagnosis of IBD, helping to avoid unnecessary, invasive, and costly examinations
- Allows timely establishment of an appropriate treatment plan, improving disease control
- Enables monitoring of treatment response over time, either following the initiation of a new medication or after dose adjustment
- Innovative design for exceptionally hygienic sample handling
Optimized treatment is essential for the appropriate management of IBD, and can remarkably improve patients’ wellbeing and quality of life.
How to use Actim Calprotectin
Actim Calprotectin test kit contains all necessary materials, and can be stored at room temperature (2–30 °C).
- Collect sample
Open the Specimen Dilution Buffer tube and take some feces using the sampling stick attached to the screw cap. Twist the stick in different places in the feces sample.
Put the sampling stick back into the tube by pushing the stick trough the cone and close the cap tightly. Shake the tube to suspend the specimen in the buffer.
Use the sharp tip of the perforating device (dipstick) to puncture the perforation area in the bottom of the buffer tube then push the device into the tube until the stopper prevents it going further.
- Activate the test
Slowly invert the tube once and immediately place the tube on the table in an upright position.
It is important that the inverting movement is not too abrupt, a peaceful inversion is vital for the correct performance of the test. Also, the tube must not remain upside down.
- Interpret results
A test result can be read in 10 minutes after test activation.
In addition to the blue control line: one blue line = fecal calprotectin concentration < 50 µg/g, two blue lines = fecal calprotectin concentration 50–200 µg/g, three blue lines = fecal calprotectin concentration > 200 µg/g
How to order Actim Calprotectin
Actim Calprotectin test kits contains 20 tests and the following items:
- Dipsticks in perforating device
- Specimen Dilution Buffer tubes
- Test instructions for use
- Sampling instructions for use
- Actim Calprotectin 20 test kit, ref: 35032ETAC
- NEW! Actim Calprotectin Controls, ref: 35000ETAC
Actim® Calprotectin Controls are intended to be used with the Actim® Calprotectin test for external quality control. The controls may also be used to demonstrate negative results and weak and strong positive results.
Combine with Actim CRP
To support identification of intestinal inflammation in two different ways, combine Actim Calprotectin with Actim CRP to measure serum CRP, a systemic marker of inflammation.
|Actim Calprotectin brochure, English||Download|
|Actim Calprotectin brochure, Finnish||Download|
|Actim Calprotectin product card, English||Download|
Instructions for use
|Actim Calprotectin test IFU||Download|
|Fecal sampling instructions||Download|
|Actim Calprotectin Controls IFU||Download|
How to get Actim Calprotectin
Actim rapid tests are used by medical professionals worldwide. To ensure a prompt delivery, Actim tests are distributed via local companies.
Disclaimer: Product availability and/or labeling may vary from country to country and is subject to varying regulatory requirements. Please contact your local representative for availability.