The reliable way to identify and rule out the risk of preterm delivery
Actim® Partus is a fast and reliable point-of-care test to identify pregnant women with a real risk of preterm or imminent delivery, even before visible signs.
Preterm delivery (birth that occurs before the 37th week of pregnancy) is the leading cause of newborn morbidity and mortality. Early detection of high-risk pregnancies is challenging. Half of pregnant women experience associated symptoms, yet only 20 % of these are at real risk of immediate or preterm delivery.
Actim Partus is a simple and accurate rapid test to identify or rule out the risk of preterm delivery from week 22 until birth. The test can be used for all pregnant women, and it is reliable even in the presence of interfering substances. A negative Actim Partus result indicates that imminent delivery is highly unlikely; low-risk patients can thus return home, overtreatment is avoided, and valuable resources are saved.
- Reliably rules out the risk of imminent or preterm delivery when fetal membranes are unbroken
- Can be used from week 22 onwards
- Easy-to-use one-step dipstick test
- Gives test results at the bedside in just 5 minutes, with sampling completed in seconds
- Test results are not affected by urine, intercourse, semen, vaginal medications, lubricants, bathing products, or infections
- The test kit contains all necessary materials and can be stored at room temperature
- Available in multiple package sizes
How Actim Partus works
Actim® Partus identifies the risk of preterm delivery through a simple cervical swab sample. The rapid test is based on highly specific monoclonal antibodies that bind to the phosphorylated form of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 (phIGFBP-1). phIGFBP-1 is produced in the decidua, but leaks into the cervix when the decidua and chorion detach.
A positive Actim Partus test result indicates the presence of tissue damage, which may lead to preterm delivery. A negative test result, in turn, means that there are no significant changes in the choriodecidual layer. Delivery is therefore very unlikely within the next 1–2 weeks, even if the patient has contractions. Actim Partus is designed to give reliable answers in minutes, to support clinical decision-making.
Actim Partus has a very high (98%) negative predictive value (NPV). Therefore, a negative test result rules out the risk of imminent or preterm delivery.
Because Actim Partus is specific to phIGFBP-1, tests can be completed even in the presence of semen, urine, infections, and medical products.
- Produced by decidua
- Leaks into the cervix when decidua and chorion detach
- phIGFBP-1 in a cervical swab is an indicator for tissue damage
TABLE 1. Clinical evidence of Actim Partus as a predictor of delivery within 7 days.
|Reference||Number of patients||GA (wk)||Sensitivity %||Specificity %||PPV %||NPV %|
|Tripathi et al., 2016||468||28-36||95||92||86||97|
|Azlin et al., 2010||51||24-36||80||94||57||98|
|Brik Spinelli et al., 2010||276||24-34||73||66||22||95|
|Tanir et al., 2009||68||24-37||93||79||56||98|
|Eroglu et al., 2007||51||24-35||83||84||42||97|
|Ting et al., 2007||94||24-34||69||78||39||92|
|Lembet et al., 2002||36||20-36||94||85||83||94|
How Actim Partus helps
Identifying patients who have harmless contractions from those at real risk of preterm delivery can be difficult. In practice, this means that over-diagnosis and over-treatment are common.
Actim Partus® is already in use all over the world and it has been included in several national treatment guidelines.
Actim Partus saves lives, time, and money
- Medical attention can be directed to patients who need it
- Early identification of high-risk pregnancies allows timely treatment
- Low-risk patients who do not need immediate care can be sent home
- Unnecessary use of medication and their side-effects can be avoided
- Reduces unrequired hospitalization and patient transfers
- Gives expecting mothers peace of mind
How to use Actim Partus
The Actim® Partus test kit contains all necessary materials and can be stored at:
- Room temperature: 2–25 °C
- Up to 30 °C for 2 months
- Collect a cervical secretion sample using a speculum
Hold the swab in for 10-15 seconds.
If Actim Partus is combined with Actim PROM, separate samples need to be taken for the two tests. The sample for Actim Partus test must be taken from the cervix, while a vaginal sample is used for Actim PROM test.
- Extract specimen
Place the swab in the Specimen Extraction Solution, swirl around vigorously for 10-15 seconds, and discard the swab.
- Activate the test, step 1
Place the yellow dip area into the extracted sample and hold it there until you see the liquid front enter the result area.
- Activate the test, step 2
Remove the dipstick from the solution and place it in a horizontal position.
- Interpret results
A positive result can be read as soon as it becomes visible. Two blue lines = risk of preterm or imminent delivery is high.
A negative result should be confirmed at 5 minutes. One blue line = preterm or imminent delivery is highly unlikely.
How to order Actim Partus
Actim® Partus test kits are available in multiple package sizes. All test kits contain instructions for use and individually packed test pouches including:
- Specimen Extraction Solution tube
- Sterile polyester swab
- Brief instructions for use
- Actim Partus 10 test kit, ref. 31931ETAC
- Actim Partus 1 test kit, ref. 31930ETAC
- Actim Partus Sample Collection kit, ref. 31935ETAC
Including 20 buffers + 20 swabs
- Actim Partus Controls, ref: 31900ETAC
Actim® Partus Controls are intended to be used with the Actim Partus test for external quality control. The controls may also be used to demonstrate negative results and weak and strong positive results. The control set includes negative, low positive, and high positive controls as well as reconstitution solution.
Actim Partus brochures
NEW! Actim PROM & Partus product card!
|Actim Partus brochure, English||Download|
|Actim Partus brochure, Spanish||Download|
|Actim Partus brochure, Chinese||Download|
|Actim Partus brochure, Finnish||Download|
|Actim PROM & Partus product card||Download|
How to get Actim Partus
Actim rapid tests are used by medical professionals worldwide. To ensure a prompt delivery, Actim tests are distributed via local companies.
Disclaimer: Product availability and/or labeling may vary from country to country and is subject to varying regulatory requirements. Please contact your local representative for availability.